9 - Prague - Vienna

Day 9

Next morning breakfast was mayhem in the hotel. It was held in a huge dinning hall, seemly serving half the world's population. In fact it reminded me more of Russian hotels. Why, I don't know because I have never been in a Russian hotel. A long queue had formed for the buffet style breakfast, so I dodge in and out picking up a boiled egg, some bread, butter and a cup of tea. I checked out of the hotel and crossed the road to the tram stop where Prague's workers were already waiting. A No.9 tram arrived promptly so I hopped on, a little unsure of the ticket process, but confident my Interrail pass was valid. The tram was full, so standing room only, but it was the morning rush hour. I was not exactly sure where to get off, so I left the tram just before the station. In hindsight it was maybe a little premature as I found myself at the back of the station and having to cross numerous railway tracks to get to the main entrance.


 The nearest I got to capturing one of the many quaint churches on the way.

It was a relatively short journey to Vienna compared to my trips so far, so this time I would arrive with plenty of time to look around. Once again I made no reservation, but I did get the train times from an information desk. I decided to take the 10:42 direct to Vienna, arriving just before 15:00. Half an hour before the train was due to leave I went to the platform, but an incredible noise from renovation work forced me back under the tunnel passage to the waiting area. I returned with 10 minutes to spare and still had to plug my ears with tissue paper to dull the noise, it was almost painful. I found an unreserved seat and settled down for the four hour journey via Brno. The rolling countryside through the Czech Republic was beautiful, punctuated by villages with their simple lone churches. However once we had crossed the border the elegant churches in Austria, impressed me even more. The white painted churches with their fine, pointed brown, green or grey spires looked like a Disney picture postcard on their perfect backdrop. I tried in vain to capture one of these quaint churches, but every time I had one in focus, a tree, pylon or building would fly into the frame leaving an artistic colourful blur over it.


Crossing the River Danube and approaching Vienna.

As we crossed the River Danube and approached Vienna, I was surprised to see a city of mirror-glassed skyscrapers. It was not what I had expected, but eventually this part of the city was left behind as we pulled into the main station. I assumed it was the business district of the city. My hotel was conveniently situated close to the main station although it took me some time to discover how to get to it. Using underpasses and escalators, I finally surfaced opposite the station with a multi-laned carriageway between us.

I dumped my baggage in my room and scanned the tourist information brochure and a map the receptionist had given me. I had been advised to get the metro to Karlsplatz, where the old city center began, but I decided instead to get off a stop later to save me walking there and back. When I exited the subway at Stephansplatz it was a complete surprise, like walking into a film. Something I had only experience once before when exiting the Paris metro at the Arch de Triumph one night. The square was absolutely packed with people and balloons, in a carnival like atmosphere, but the imposing St. Stephen's cathedral was star of the show. I wandered around taking photos, not knowing which direction to take first, as it seemed up every street there was a stunning church or elaborate architectural edifice. I bought a small chocolate cake, weighing like a lump of lead, to replace my daily chocolate bar. After an hour exploring most of the streets leading off Stephansplatz, I began to make my way back towards Karlsplatz.


My first impression of Vienna as I exited Stephansplatz metro station.

It took me a while to locate Karntnerstrasse and head south, but speaking German I was at least able to ask normally for once, instead of pointing and using strange sign languages at people. I veered off towards Hofburg and looked around until my legs began to hint it was time to go home. In the distance I could see Karlskirche poking out from behind some trees and somewhere nearby was the Karlsplatz metro station. Karlskirche was another impressive church with a large fountain in front attracting crowds including street artists and a few bathers.


Stephansdom from another angle


I found the metro and headed back to my hotel, hardly more than 15 minutes away. Once in my room I unpacked my chocolate cake and cut a small slice. It was made with a very solid sponge cake mixture not unlike a giant chocolate truffle with a hint of alcohol. Small and as tasty as it was, it was going to last me a day or two. The rest of the evening was spent in the hotel room using their WiFi to check my route for tomorrow, sorting hotel rooms on Booking.com and uploading photos. I was exhausted from the three hour walk so I was soon asleep.


Street performers discuss their next act on Karlsplatz.



Comments

Popular Posts