5 - Bedford - Nottingham

Day 5

A change of plan in Bedford yesterday led to a bizarre situation. I decided on the spur of the moment to go on to Nottingham that evening and forgo a stopover in Bedford. However as I stood on platform 4 waiting for the train (checked on the Internet), it appeared not to go to Nottingham but to Derby. Nottingham was not mentioned over the tanoy nor was it shown on the digital displays. However a nearby timetable did show a train direct to Nottingham due at that time on platform 4. Confused and with no Internet connection I was unable to check anything and there were no station staff or passengers to ask. Unable to call anyone I aborted the journey and returned to my sister where I had also left my laptop. Meanwhile she had found my laptop and was headed for the station hoping to catch me before I left. I caught a taxi back and just missed her as she was arriving at the station. Well eventually all was sorted out and I stayed overnight in Bedford after all, as originally planned.


Deserted Bedford station at 21:34

Next morning was equally confusing when a girl at the information desk gave me a printout with my train times, but there was nothing at all on the digital displays to match the printout. I was unable to deduce the platform my train was supposed to leave from. Fortunately my sister sorted it out as she was traveling on the same train to work, otherwise I may well have missed it again.

I discovered Wifi was available on this train but it was not free and I had no desire to register yet another connection, so I did without. The journey was smooth and quick and Nottingham station was clean and easy to navigate. Sure of my orientation, I exited the station and headed off in completely the wrong direction. After 100 meters a passerby pointed me back in the correct direction and 45 minutes later I arrived at my brother's home. I was early so he was not in as we had previously arranged to meet after 10:00. I walked back into town and had a late bacon sandwich breakfast in a very good and reasonably priced eatery, particularly cheap compared to what I had experienced further south. They also had free Wifi so I was able to send a message to my brother to let him know I had arrived. Just after 10:00 I was back at my brothers, who finally let in after some confusion over their bell.

Most train stations these days rely heavily on automation, fine when the machines work and the trains are on time. Foreigners however may find themselves on a deserted platform unable to understand the machines or timetables, WTF are they supposed to do. There should be 24 hour manned info at all stations running trains, period.


Nottingham seen from the castle ... well, a part of it anyway



     

Comments

Popular Posts